[clue-tech] Open Source Conferencing overview and questions

Mon Jan 24 13:58:18 MST 2011

If you're going to include proprietary software like WebEx in evaluation, please also include Yugma. My experience with it so far, is pretty good.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- "YES NOPE9" <yes at nope9.com> wrote:
> I submit to the CLUE group since CLUE is looking at incorporating meeting conferencing into it's web package. There is no attempt to make this an exhaustive overview. CLUE is currently switching it's web presence over to Drupal. http://drupal.org/ Moodle is an educational delivery package I have been using for a few years. http://moodle.org/

Thanks go to Crawford at http://linux-etc.com/ for his contributions to Drupal , BBB and OpenMeetings.

I will see if I can establish a blog or similar on the CLUE website covering Drupal and conferencing developments.

Experiments with wireless microphones ( sub $100 ) worked well. Two wireless mics were run at the same time successfully. Several webcams were tried with success. The LogiTech C910 and the LogiTech Orbit worked well.

A desired feature would be the ability to
#1 Choose one of several cameras attached to one laptop to be the one being used. This allows multiple views.
#2 Choose one of several audio sources attached to one laptop to be the one being used. This allows multiple sources.
#3 Be able to control pan , tilt and zoom for a camera such as the LogiTech Orbit.

There are more features that are desired and will mentioned once a blog or similar is established on the CLUE site.

DimDim
Dimdim was acquired by Salesforce.com according to a recent announcement. 2011m01d11
While Dimdim will discontinue supporting the open source code at Sourceforge.net [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/dimdim/ ] it’s possible that other developers could continue to maintain that branch or utilize that code as a foundation for a new open source webinar tool.

WebEx
http://www.webex.com
I have not found an open source version of WebEx

BigBlueButton
http://www.bigbluebutton.org/

CLUE is investigating this as a conferencing solution. BBB is said to connect with Moodle and Drupal.
Several tests of BBB have been run. One at an installfest and one at a DTC meeting. The first was encouraging. The second was not as much. Bandwidth and other unknowns may be a factor. BBB did not knock out any competitors.

OpenMeetings
CLUE did some testing at the 2011m01d22 installfest at DTC. All I can say is that OM did not knock out any other contenders.

Gus in Denver 99gus 99conference 99clue 99drupal 99bbb