[clue-tech] Welcome to the new CLUE web site

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Jan 26 12:18:54 MST 2011

----- "David L. Anselmi" <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote: -----

> Brian Gibson wrote:
> > Nice
> >
> > btw you can setup an .htaccess file (since the server is
> > Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS))
> > to redirect to either cluedenver.org or www.cluedenver.org. Some
> > search engines
> > will treat the two as different domains.
> >
> > Here's an example:
> >
> > //Rewrite to www
> > Options +FollowSymLinks
> > RewriteEngine on
> > RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^cluedenver.org[nc]
> > RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.cluedenver.org/$1 [r=301,nc]
>
> I think it's easier than fooling with rewrite rules. You just make
> sure all the domains go to the
> same set of pages. I guess people might prefer to be redirected from
> cluedenver.org to
> www.cluedenver.org but I'm not sure why anyone would care.

Actually "ServerAlias" with "ServerName" is what is being used in the Apache configuration with a "robots.txt" (via a Drupal module) in place for each one of the CLUE web sites (save the "old" version that is now on www2).  So in theory, going to either "cluedenver.org" or "www.cluedenver.org" is basically the same.  The log file assigned is the same for both on the server end as well.

Though I admit, I wonder how the Google Analytics picks things on its end.  Now how the web crawlers/robots see things, got me.

HTH.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court