[clue] shared lib question -> java

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 21:11:42 MDT 2011

Hello,

Thanks for the input. So in theory could LD_LIBRARY_PATH be used
with a daemon owner to get a server application to use
an alternate glibc suite? I suspect serious problems as Matt eluded.

This thing was built with oracle8i,java2:1.4, and apache 1.ancient components (httpd/tomcat). A crippling thing is that I only have compiled class files for some critical pieces (only enough source to generate frustration and surely the database connector trickery is compiled in to talk to oracl8i hampering my import flexibility :). Being mostly ignorant in things JAVA I suspect that my only hope to get any of it to run is to use a java kit at or near the level that was used to generate the class files? This is where I discovered the lib problem: attempting to check the version of the jdk/jre components included...  java -version barfed about the  libstdc++ shared lib -> glibc2.ancient) Eventually discovering it was
some 1.4.0-beta kit. Although, resorting to  my vast programming
experience I coded "hello world", javac'd it with the ancient kit and the resulting class file worked with a 1.6.0_24-b07 kit blowing my subjective theory of "how things won't work as advertised/or how I think they ought to" out of the water.. :) I figured platform independence only goes so
far as having the right kit version on your platform....? I guess it
might be pretty backwards compatible...which I didn't want to count on
messing around with something way broken.

I have back peddled to just setting up a rh7.3 vmware vm if I actually want to investigate this mess.

Thanks again,

-Mike