[clue] Plug Computers

Scott Mann sunix13 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 09:10:31 MDT 2011

On 04/26/2011 08:37 AM, Will wrote:
> Has anyone used one or more plug computers and have any input on the
> pros or cons of one make & model over another?
>
> I'm toying with the idea of using a plug computer for a backup device.
>  The idea is that I would put the plug at either my office or at a
> friend's house.  It would establish a VPN connection to my Linux
> server at home and then my home computers can rsync to it on a regular
> basis.

I'm using a pink pogo as an internal file server and an original
pogoplug as a backup server. I've modified the pink's firmware along the
lines of http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/. Of course, there are also
various administrative modifications necessary for functionality and
security. Both of these devices have been bullet-proof and consume way
less power than the rack mounted servers they replaced. I realize these
are older devices, but you may want to check out pogo's web site. The
new device is black in color and, I believe, uses a different
motherboard (don't know about the state of uboot for it). But it looks
like pinks are still available at
http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4,
for instance. Anyway, I can recommend the pink for what you are thinking
about doing and there's a lot of uboot/os support for it (see
http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5/Main_Page).

I was fooling around with a guruplug, but it overheated :) Although, I
received replacement parts from the manufacturer, I haven't had a chance
to work on it. I've heard good things about these and other such devices
(like the dream plug -
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-5-dreamplugs.aspx). So, you may
be better off heading in that direction.

Just my $.02

-Scott