[clue] Plug Computers

Scott Mann sunix13 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 12:28:23 MDT 2011

On 04/26/2011 12:01 PM, Will wrote:
> Scott,
>
>   Thanks for the information.  Looking at Pogo the convince of it all
> would be very nice but I do have some pause about the only thing
> between my backups and the Internet being an e-mail address and
> password.  Do you use the Pogo software or have you used uboot to load
> another Distro?
Yes, I used a different distro/uboot on the pink. Definitely need to get
rid of ALL pogo software!

The list below should get you going and give you some ideas. Of course,
your mileage may vary and, if you aren't careful, you can brick your
device :) Happily, you can work around that as well (just google
"bricked my pogo" or similar and you'll find all sorts of useful
information like, how to make a console cable). Good luck!

Setting up plugbox linux on a pogopink
--------------------------------------
1. Start by going through the setup here:
http://plugapps.com/index.php5?title=PlugApps:Pogoplug_Setboot

Before you reboot, you'll want to edit the file "/tmp/usb/etc/rc.conf",
assuming you extracted plugbox into /tmp/usb. You need to set
the IP address to something you can reach (it defaults to dhcp, which
won't work because uboot's MAC address was overwritten with
a new uboot). Once your system has rebooted, you can get in and follow
the instructions to set your environment variables in uboot (including
the MAC address).

2. Note that you don't need to go through the steps at
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/
unless you really want to make sure that you've got the latest.

3. Make sure that you follow the steps at:
http://plugapps.com/index.php5?title=Application:OpenNTPD

4. Now you can install whatever standard linux stuff you want
assuming that you have a large enough drive. Just use pacman,
yet another package manager. Have a look here:
http://www.plugboxlinux.org/index.php5?title=Guide:Package_Management

5. To find packages, use pacman -Ss, e.g.

[root at pogo-pink ~]# pacman -Ss samba
extra/gnome-vfs 2.24.3-2
     The GNOME Virtual File System
extra/samba 3.5.4-2
     Tools to access a server's filespace and printers via SMB
community/g2sc 0.2-3
     Samba gtk2 client
community/gadmin-samba 0.2.9-1
     An easy to use GTK+ frontend for the SAMBA file and print server
community/perl-crypt-smbhash 0.12-1
     Perl/CPAN Module Crypt::SmbHash : Perl-only implementation of
lanman and nt md4 hash functions, for use in Samba style smbpasswd
     entries.
[root at pogo-pink ~]# pacman -Ss smb
extra/lm_sensors 3.1.2-3
     Collection of user space tools for general SMBus access and
hardware monitoring
extra/pysmbc 1.0.9-1
     Python libsmbclient bindings
extra/samba 3.5.4-2
     Tools to access a server's filespace and printers via SMB
extra/smbclient 3.5.4-2
     Tools to access a server's filespace and printers via SMB
community/arch-backup 0.8.7-2
     trivial backup scripts (ssh/smb support)
community/perl-crypt-smbhash 0.12-1
     Perl/CPAN Module Crypt::SmbHash : Perl-only implementation of
lanman and nt md4 hash functions, for use in Samba style smbpasswd
     entries.
community/smbnetfs 0.5.3a-2
     small C program that mounts Microsoft network neighborhood in
single directory.
[root at pogo-pink ~]#

Now, just pick the things you want and install them.
[root at pogo-pink ~]# pacman -Sy samba smbclient smbnetfs

6. Other things:

Development packages:
# pacman -Sy base-devel devel

# pacman -Sy rsync duplicity grsync librsync