[clue] Impressions on 11.04?

Chris Ernst penguin-guy at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 17:40:44 MDT 2011

OK.. here we go.... What "core dependencies" are you talking about that
you have a need to get rid of and why do you need to get rid of them?

By "shell" I assume you're talking about bash?  You are free to modify
and recompile it however you want.  There's nothing keeping you from
doing that.

I used Gentoo for a couple of years (actually, I still have 1 box
running it, but I haven't turned it on lately).  Yes, it's fun to tinker
with, but I would never use it for daily work.  I would end up spending
more time playing with my computer than doing actual work.

Any perceived speed increase of Gentoo versus any other reasonably
maintained distribution is pure placebo.  Yes... there might be some
*measurable* increases in some specific benchmarks.  But how much do you
care if lame can encode a file in 45 seconds versus 47 seconds?  Does
that really justify the hours and hours of compile time you went through
to get that extra 2 seconds?

If Gentoo is a good fit for you... fantastic!  I'm glad the community
was able to create something that works well for you.  But trashing
other distributions with unfounded FUD because you don't like the way
they do things is just silly.

Cheers!

	- Chris