[clue] Impressions on 11.04?

CP Constantine conrad at 1211.net
Sat Apr 30 00:30:44 MDT 2011

On 4/30/2011 2:17 AM, Mike Bean wrote:
> I'd be curious to hear more about that if perhaps we could take the
> discussion of the grid.  (It isn't my intention to sidetrack the thread,
> I just have a hard time imagining that distro-slamming could be a huge
> problem with people applying for linux jobs, I'd be curious to hear
> about it.)

not much to talk about really, linux is just a kernel, the rest is
userspace, and nothing is written in stone. If you don't understand
that, you likely don't understand the underlying mechanics of LD.so
troubleshooting skills.

Imagine if a windows admin told you "yeah, I can't work on systems that
have office installed! screws up too much stuff!"

Linux is Linux is Linux. even accepted standards such as /usr, /etc,
/lib are purely there because people agree upon them. you could build
(from source) a linux system that used your own completely bizarre
filesystem structure, and... it would work.

So, why do I think it's a negative mark? because good sysadmins solve
problems, they don't introduce artificial ones.

(and I personally dislike RedHat-derivatives default setup a lot, it
doesn't stop me making anything I need to work on them, work. I got
started with linux kernel 0.97.. at this point, there really isn't much
difference between any distro for me... remember the old Unix maxim -
"Everything is a file" - once you accept that, the rest is easy).