[clue] Tonights meeting

daryl kuchay daryl.kuchay at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 22:29:30 MDT 2011

Hi All,

I would like to take a moment to do a 180 from my usual and say something
positive. Thank you to John "maddog" Hall and those involved with inviting
him in to speak for us. I found his presentation to be one of the more
interesting I have seen.

I came in to computers at the 286 days, took a break and reentered at the
release of Windows 95. maddog on the other hand has been involved with the
computer industry since 1969. It was very interesting to learn about how the
industry worked during that period as well as many of the politics
involved.

This was at the level of intricate details and from a person who managed
teams of engineers working on digital unix among other projects that he
oversaw. Computers back then took a tractor trailer to move and a 200 ton
air conditioning system to keep at proper temperature. He highlighted how
software used to be open and an interested person had to build the software
on their computer due to a lack of support for the hardware in question.

One of the more memorable slides he presented from was a statement that he
quoted. "Unless one is familiar with history one is doomed to repeat it." I
am sure that is not word for word however it is great wisdom. Please take a
moment to visit the sponsors page, a project that Mr. Hall is personally
involved with:  http://www.projectcaua.org/

Thanks again,

Daryl Kuchay