[clue] Tonights meeting

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Fri Aug 26 17:15:49 MDT 2011

Maddog -- Many thanks for joining us and speaking with us on Wednesday
night.  You were most gracious with our group, and your presentation was
highly informative and entertaining.  Thank you, sir!

All -- My own introduction to the computing profession followed Mr.
Hall's by only a couple of years, and I was a customer of DEC (Digital
Equipment Corp) during much of the time and history that he spoke of,
although I was on the VMS side of the house & products while he was
making progress with the Unix side (in those days, we always thought
that "VMS was better", yet look at me now -- Linux and FOSS all the way!).

Still, it was fun to have him reminisce about "the good old days", and
the lessons and points that he drew from those years were, and are,
right on target.  His view of DECUS (and other user groups) as a
wellspring of the early and formative days of the FOSS movement is
accurate, spot-on!

I hope and trust that we all consider Jon "Maddog" Hall to be a friend
and colleague of CLUE, and that we'll be able to welcome him back
frequently during his world travels and talks!

best regards,
   -- Lorin