[clue] Looking for Someone to help me setup a Linux server with VM's

Mark G. Harvey markgharvey at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 17:26:35 MDT 2011

Larry,

I see by the message thread you have been able to enter your evaluation code & get the ESX/ESXi instance to run in perpetuity.

As a VMware Technical Support Engineer, I take calls from many customers who run into issues just because they did not read the documentation, in particular, the best practices.  I can assure you & the entire audience here that doing so is well worth your time.

The VMware Server 2 product (which has versions that install upon Linux & Windows) is still free & available.  It is decent for evaluation & testing.  If you have a production environment, I highly recommend the vSphere ESX/ESXi product line.  The ' i ' version is the direction of development & version 5 has just been released.

On consulting ... as someone who did IT consulting for 10+ years, I highly recommend _not_ going with the lowest bidder.  That old adage applies -- you get what you pay for.

Best of luck.

Mark G. Harvey
Technical Support Engineer
Global Support Services - Federal
VMware, Inc.

Just made publicly available ...

This is the Free Hypervisor of version 5.0 -- note: there are 200+ improvements / changes as compared to the previous version.
http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

VMwarevSphere Documentation
https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-pubs.html

VMwarevSphere 5 Documentation