[clue] mint12 stuck at login screen

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Dec 13 08:36:49 MST 2011

Here is a diagnostic idea: shut down your gui login, login from the console and run startx. You may see a useful message.

Mike Bean <beandaemon at gmail.com> wrote:

Little bit lost in the woods, any guidance is appreciated. I'm running
Mint12, I had thought everything was OK, just used the computer last
night, but when I try to login in just jumps me back to the login
screen. I can get to a tty/bash prompt, so I've been fishing around in
my syslog/dmesg, etc... Looking for something that looks like an
error. I can login at Bash, so I know I'm not giving it a bad
credential. There's an x log in /var/log, but I don't see any aborts
in there either. I'm fairly decentralized, I can reload if I have to,
and what research I've done suggests I may end up doing a repair
install or a reinstall. If I need to go down that road I will, but I'd
really rather come to some understanding of what I did wrong, so I
don't do it again.

The only thing I can think of that I did yesterday that was even
remotely system-related was I looking at disabling sleep, so I removed
pm-utils, changed my mind and reinstalled it. (pm-utils). That would
be the only system change I can think of.

advice is appreciated.

Bean

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: