[clue] dec29th = leave GoDaddy [politics/SOPA]

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:15:27 MST 2011

Thinking about the subject, occurred to me that there are some clue-bies
with some pretty strong feelings about SOPA.  Strong enough to put your
money where your mouth is?
(Provided of course that anyone has sites/domain names on GoDaddy)

http://gizmodo.com/5870779/december-29th-is-leave-godaddy-day

December 29th Is Leave GoDaddy Day

Congress pitches awful bill <http://gizmodo.com/sopa>. Dozens of
companies support
awful bill<http://gizmodo.com/5870241/presented-without-comment-every-single-company-supporting-sopa-the-awful-internet-censorship-law>.
One of those companies is the reviled, asshole-ish GoDaddy. GoDaddy
dismisses<http://gizmodo.com/5870559/as-if-you-needed-another-reason-to-hate-fcking-godaddy>criticism.
Internet decides it doesn't
need<http://theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/12/reasons-not-upset-reddit/46601/>GoDaddy.
Let's do this.

The idea of an organized GoDaddy domain walkout, prompted by lolcat baron Ben
Huh<http://gizmodo.com/5870638/lolcat-kingpin-threatens-giant-boycott-against-godaddys-sopa-lust>and
community
organization on
Reddit<http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nmnie/godaddy_supports_sopa_im_transferring_51_domains/?limit=500>,
is a damn good one. GoDaddy has already rolled its eyes at the idea of a
boycott in a note to ArsTechnica:

Go Daddy has received some emails that appear to stem from the boycott
prompt, but we have not seen any impact to our business.

If you're currently doing business with GoDaddy, why don't you give them
some impact on the 29th? [Atlantic
Wire<http://theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/12/reasons-not-upset-reddit/46601/>
]

Personally, I like to see this kind of activism, but I tend to respect
anyone's right to make the choice for themselves.  I don't have a site on
GoDaddy, so I can't support the effort directly, but I thought I'd pass
along the word, and support them indirectly.  Would it be an abuse to ask
if someone can pass along the word to the crowd at DenHac?

Bean