[clue] Qwest M1000 & host identification

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 13:56:44 MST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Jason Friedman <jason at powerpull.net> wrote:
> Hi, I have an M1000 DSL modem and two hosts, both of which obtain
> their IP addresses from the modem via DHCP.
> I could not figure out how to reach one host from the other by
> hostname.  I have to enter "ping 192.168.0.5" or whatever happens to
> be assigned.

I'm not familiar with the M1000 modem, but many devices of this type
have the ability to pin the lan addresses they give out to static
values. You might want to check your manual (?) or call your
provider's service number to see if that is possible. If you can do
that, it's simple to code the host name/ip address for each in
/etc/hosts on both systems, and then you can communicate via hostname.

--
Collins Richey