[clue] [TECH] Q: What is the purpose of CLUE's Server ? A: Well.............

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 07:33:52 MST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maxwell Spangler" <maxlists at maxwellspangler.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:54:44 PM
Subject: Re: [clue] [TECH] Q: What is the purpose of CLUE's Server ? A: Well.............

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 16:06 -0700, YES NOPE9 wrote:

> Right now we get a hard to maintain website and an email list.

> Easier to tart-up and add content to ...... DRUPAL 7 website
> Same kind of mailing list as before ( just one list with TAGS however )
> Forums
> Image galleries
> Online Conferencing
> Collaborative Tech Books

In the early days of Linux users groups were founded by early adopters.
Announcements of meetings were posted on local usenet groups, spread by
word of mouth and by email. There was no meetup.com, craigslist or much
of a world wide web.

People attended the meetings because they were interested at first then
excited about what Linux could do. Most of the meetings were
show-and-tell-and-questions from someone who had done something and
wanted to demonstrate it. This proved to the audience that Linux could
do something and then engaged them in a discussion of how well it could
do it, how much effort it took to accomplish it, and whether it could be
manipulated into something to meet their needs. OH, and really, this
stuff is Free? Are you sure?

The first Washington DC LUG meeting I went to demonstrated Xfree86 (now
x.org) on a 386 with 16M of RAM and an ISA TSENG4000 based video card.
The talk was about editing custom X modelines to define the technical
timing of the display so your video card and monitor would work
properly. I remember it for the first time I saw a PC do what a
workstation could do and it got me hooked.

None of the users groups I was a part of long ago can get the 120+
people per meeting they got then. But all the groups that are still
alive center their activities around the monthly meeting with everything
else supporting it.

Perhaps 'image galleries' and 'online conferencing' is putting the cart
before the horse?

I'm trying to provide constructive criticism, only.

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Computing Services

Perhaps, but since one of the people working on the website is interested in image galleries and online conferencing, and is willing to invest his time and effort on them, why not? The meeting should still be the focus, but the website can be one of our tools.

Gus's post is only about the website work, but we are trying to improve in other areas as well, such as getting speakers.

Thanks for your criticism. It is greatly appreciated.