[clue] linux backup techniques? [talk]

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 07:38:54 MDT 2011

Hello, me again.

Briefly, my home system is almost up to where I want it to be, I just need a
stronger backup method and to learn more about GPG.  (Need to encrypt the
sensitive stuff).   So I thought I'd ask for advice.
Current backup technique is a bash rsync script that just copies certain key
home/(dir) directories to a second internal hard drive and a USB external
drive.  For the most part I get by just fine, but I tend to hear lots of
things that tend to suggest sensitive data needs to be in at least 3
places.  internal, external, and offsite.   Plus I've been criticized for
not having a backup technique that saves versions of files.   eg - edit a
file, don't like the change, restore to last week's version.  However, most
of the backup techniques I've looked at are either too complex to be
practical for home use:  backuppc, bacula, or cloud based &
propreitary(sp?)   Crashplan.

So, I thought I'd ask for advice how people structure their home backups,
and what services/software  (if any) they use?

Mike Bean