[clue] [hardware] Erratic boot behavior

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Mon Jul 11 13:36:55 MDT 2011

Good call, Matt -- I've been having similar problem with a couple of
older systems recently, and the power supplies were at the root each
time, except one...

If it hadn't turned out to be the PS, I was going to suggest that you
first/next check the CMOS-RAM "button" or "coin" battery which keeps
CMOS/EEPROM BIOS memory alive-&-well and the real-time clock ticking
during power-downs -- usually a CR2032 or (less frequently) a CR2016 3V
Lithium battery, these usually last "a long time" (two to ten years,
depending on stuff...).

When this battery starts going weak, you could also see many (all?) of
the reboot-attempt symptoms you'd originally described.

IMHO/experience, when you start seeing reboot problems, check the CR20XX
battery first (cheap fix), then the power supply, and only then get into
deeper, more complex hardware diagnosis.  Just my 2¢ worth!

best regards,
   -- Lorin