[clue] [XWindows] [Gnome] Xsession: Login results in minimal windows

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Tue Jul 12 15:45:10 MDT 2011

I've posted the following this afternoon on Ubuntu Forums; so far, no

Ubuntu Studio 10.4 (LL/LTS), upgraded from 9.10 on 4-June-11. Recent
lightning storms have me shutting down frequently to protect
equipment... Upon reboot, each time I re-login to Gnome (v2.30.2), I end
up with "undecorated" windows -- that is, each application window lacks
its title bar, they cannot be moved or resized (tho' app-window menus
work), and each lands in a fixed position. Only my top-panel works, and
I cannot get access to workspace control widgets.

I've discovered that to (temporarily until next login/reboot) fix this,
I can right-click on the workspace background to display the pop-up
menu, select "Change Desktop Background", go to "Visual Effects" tab,
observe that the "None" button is selected, and then click on the
"Normal" button.

This displays a progress box labeled "Searching for available
drivers...", which ping-pongs a progress bar back and forth for about
20-30 seconds. Then (every time), all visible windows get re-displayed
with the "normal" title bars -- another box pops up with "Do you want to
keep these settings?" and, of course, I click on the Keep These Settings
button.

Then all's well -- normal application windows... until my next
reboot/login cycle.

What's going on here? For me, this is new behavior with my upgrade to
Ubuntu 10.4/LTS. I've looked in my /home/user directories for something
to do with Xsession, perhaps a config-file, but have only found
.xsession-errors (and .xsession-errors.old), with some formidable
logging in 'em. They don't (yet) help me much...

What should I be looking for? What can I post to help diagnose this?
What "drivers" is Gnome searching for, and why can't it find them at
login? Why won't setting visual effects to "normal" stick (be permanent)
now?

TIA -- Any ideas?  I'm lost on this one.
Lorin