[clue] cloud backups that support linux [TALK]

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 09:28:40 MDT 2011

Hey, just sharing in case someone can benefit.  I've been reading all the
security news coming out of dropbox, and some of the security guys I know
suggested SpiderOak,  so I've been fiddling with them.
https://spideroak.com/

At first I thought they were just charging extra for the extra encryption,
but then I realized their linux support is actually fairly robust, and their
sync feature isn't locked down to one directory.  It's customizable.  Set up
your own syncs.

I've been using their Ubuntu [Natty] client and my distro of choice is
Mint11, so far it's working great.   So I thought I would relay the
suggestion in case someone out there in the intertubes might be interested
in a similar service.

I realize that they are more expensive then the average
mozy/carbonite...etc...., and money's precious - so I thought I'd include a
link to some coupon codes: *http://tinyurl.com/3n6hdcf*

I also realize that the whole cloud backup strategy can be a topic of some
discussion, there are benefits and disadvantages...etc...etc..., and it
isn't my intention to take sides in that whole red v blue debate, but I do
believe there's some value in having an "offsite" so I thought I'd share
because cloud services that support linux aren't exactly coming out of the
woodwork.  To my knowledge it's Spideroak and Crashplan, and I wasn't crazy
about Crashplan.  (though I did like their peer to peer feature)

Mike Bean