[clue] Light-table style photo editor?

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Mon Jul 25 09:50:34 MDT 2011

Matt -- The functionality you're looking for is indeed a "light table",
similar to what Mac/Win users have had for years in applications like
Aperture and Adobe Photoshop LightTable.  Think about the old days with
35mm slides (or larger transparency formats), with the ability to place
them over a uniformly back-lit white-translucent table so that you could
compare exposures and make a best-selection from among them.

In our FOSS world, there are lots of choices, but probably only one
really good one for your needs -- digiKam (www.digikam.org).  From their
Overview page:

"Another tool, which most artists and photographers will be familiar
with, is a Light Table.  This tool assists artists and photographers
with reviewing their work ensuring the highest quality only.
A classical light table will show the artist the place on the images to
touch up.  Well in digiKam, the light table function provides the user a
similar experience.  You can import a photo, drag it onto the light
table, and touch up only the areas that need it."

Apps like Shotwell and F-Spot are photo "managers" and "organizers"
(only) -- although you can see many thumbnails side-by-side, these don't
include the ability to select two (or more) photos for side-by-side
comparison of exposures (etc.).  digiKam does have this capability
explicitly designed in (see www.digikam.org/node/329).

Of course, digiKam includes much, much more (no, I'm not a salesman for
them!), including image editing, plugins, albums (organization like
F-Spot & Shotwell), etc.  Don't think it'd ever fully displace Gimp for
image editing, but it's a good complement; the two make a nearly
complete digital photo shop, at least for us amateurs.

Latest released version (tarball on digikam.org) is v1.9.0 -- website
recommends installing from your distro's repositories, even if that's a
bit older version.  For my Ubuntu 10.4/LL-LTS, my repo lists v1.2.0, and
your mileage may vary.  But digiKam's got the light table functions that
you're asking for!...

best regards,
   -- Lorin