[clue] How much GNU is there in GNU/Linux?

Matt Dew marcoz at osource.org
Wed Jun 1 12:41:42 MDT 2011

Not sarcastic, but some hyperbole.
   I use gentoo. Have for about 6 years (I'm guessing. It's been a long
time and I forgot exactly when I started.)
   I used to know a lot of gentoo folks, several of them hardcore linux
geeks. But almost all of them left for other distros because it's not an
easy distro to maintain.

Matt

I don't remember the last time I met someone who actually uses gentoo.
It was really cool when it came out and the idea of portage is really
interesting.  I like portage/ebuild/emerge, but maintaining a gentoo
system is a lot of work.  More work than any other distro I have used,
except LFS (and maybe slackware) and when it breaks.  ugh...  I left a
gentoo box alone for 2 years and then tried to update it.  haha,  that
was pain. I'm talking root canal through the bum kinda pain.   While a
gentoo box can be stable, no matter how hard I tweak the make.conf, or
preloading, i've never noticed any speed improvement from compiling my
own packages, which was one of the main points behind gentoo.  It's a
fun distro to play around on.

marcoz