[clue] How much GNU is there in GNU/Linux?

Grant grant at amadensor.com
Wed Jun 1 13:06:10 MDT 2011

Try to build Ubuntu or Gentoo or any of them without the GNU tools. No gcc no bash no gnu fs tools. It is probably easier to replace the linux kernel with bsd than replace gcc and bash and mv and cp, etc.

My point is that lines of code is a poor metric.

Torren Beitler <torren.beitler at gmail.com> wrote:

What does GNU not being there have to do with anything? Of course Gentoo is Linux based, but no duh. I said the basis of the chart is far off to say it is "How much GNU is in GNU/LINUX" as Linux is barely Ubuntu at all. How silly that a guy who's whole life has been into hardware, software, and linux. Seeing as I have dual Xeon X5690s at 4.8GHz with quad-580s running at 1200core with 64 gigs of ram for each CPU, I must be mistaken.