[clue] [EVENT] CLUE SERVERfest this evening

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Fri Jun 3 17:46:00 MDT 2011

Some notes on the Server meeting this evening (6/2/2011):

Attendees: Dennis Perkins, Shawn Perry, David Anselmi. Matt Dew, Collins
Richey, David Willson, Chris Fedde.

Last evenings meeting was mostly a free format discussion of issues relating
to website and email services for CLUE,  Proposals included "basement
hosting" vs VPS vs "website hosting".   Also included was a discussion of
web site technologies including Drupal vs the current site and other
possible technologies.  A plan was agreed to evaluate the website hosting
service as a potential candidate.

Basement server was taken first. The idea here is that a few members
volunteer services of a linux server at their home, office or other
location.  Each location would be configured to mirror content from a
"master" and DNS round robin would be used to support HA and disaster
recovery scenarios.  Issues of static IP vs dynamic DNS were discussed and
 consensus was that this could work as several members have the skills
required to acomplish this.

VPS was discussed briefly. It was suggested that cost and scope of
administrative responsibility were beyond the desires of the attendees at
this meeting.  Though this does not in anyway preclude other members from
working through current VPS based evaluations.

A short discussion of the Drupal direction vs some other approach occurred.
 Discussion about the effort and value of the content in the existing drupal
site was given in support of continuing in that direction.
 No opposition was given.

Web hosting via bluehost was advocated by Shawn. The service is cheap and
has few limits supports drupal and mailman. He offered to provide a trial
and a set of steps was approved by the group attending.

Bluehosting evaluation steps are as follows:

1 Shawn to provision service and to coordinate with Collins
to receive existing Dupal site content and make it available.

2 Once Shawn deems the demo site operational  he will notify Dennis and
Collins who will do an initial "User Acceptance Test" (UAT).

3 On success of the initial UAT Dennis or Collins will let David Wilson
schedule a full scale UAT and load spike generation soliciting willing
participants in this list to target the site at some scheduled two hour
window.

4 Following the succesfull full UAT and load test a burn in period will
pass.

5 After the burn in of a week or so announcemts will be made and a call for
members to advise and consent to the new site before DNS changes are made.

As always I ask for your feedback questions and concerns.
chris