[clue] A Tech posting! [Tech]

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Mon Jun 6 12:08:12 MDT 2011

Hi all..in the interest of bringing interest to the list (Tech at least)
I'll propose the following topics to comment on:

1. Puppet - "Infrastructure as Code" sometimes known as the DevOps
movement. Not your typical Puppet tutorial:
http://semicomplete.com/presentations/puppet-at-loggly/puppet-at-loggly.pdf.html

2. Riak - Riak is a Dynamo-inspired database that is being used in
production by companies like Mozilla and Comcast. Riak scales
predictably and easily and simplifies development by giving users the
ability to quickly prototype, test, and deploy their
applications.http://wiki.basho.com/
    One of the unique features of Riak is the ability to write to ANY
node in the system and have it available (eventually) to any other node
in the system.

3. Erlang - A functional concurrent programming for massively scalable
architecture. This is what Riak is written in (along with ejabberd).
Riak also supports hot code swapping for upgrades so that the service
never goes down!

4. Distributed File Systems like Tahoe-LAFS how could you use this to
backup your data to your friend's house while allowing you to share some
files and keep others encrypted?

5. Dream Plug (and plug devices in general) What can you do with 'em?
What HAVE you done with 'em?

I'm just trying to drum up some tech on the mailing list so we can get
some interest again...Hopefully one of these topics interests somebody!!!