[clue] [TALK] Ultimate home for the CLUE Website

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Wed Jun 8 12:53:48 MDT 2011

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Jeff Iddings wrote:
>
> On 06/08/2011 11:56 AM, YES NOPE9 wrote:
>>
>> This effort is not taxing CLUE members one thin dime.  It is not draining the treasury.  The people working on it are doing so because they want to.  The old website performs so much more poorly than the Drupal test site.... it is laughable,   The current site has no forums, no books , no calendar, ...........  I am not interested in giving those features up.  Raymond.... instead of sniping at the effort going on .... why don't you come up with a superior ( and working ) alternative ?  I would be excited to test it.  If you want to stick with the current , static site...... you got your wish ..... for now............. the static site keeps chugging ( boringly ) along.
>> 99guspuppet
>>

> I'm the new guy around here, so I'm reluctant to wade into the deep end,
> but I'm not sure why anyone would want to setup an alternative for
> testing purposes. People successfully deploy Drupal based websites every
> minute of every day, Drupal 7.2 included. Why would such an effort be
> wasted on a group that seems to infinitely ring their hands rather than
> just taking the bull by the horns.
>
> I suspect you could appoint any number of people on this list as the
> Website Czar and there would be little fuss, muss, or discussion -- just
> a functional website. Experimentation is great, but not at the expense
> of achieving a very basic goal.
>
> But I didn't make it to the server meeting, so I guess I'm not entitled
> to have an opinion -- or at least that's what we've been told. :)
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Jeff
Jeff
What you are entitled to do ( and invited to do ) ...... is contribute as much as you want to any project that CLUE members are working on.  Offering advice and data is good.  It is always good to avoid statements like " This could be done in one minute "   .......
What CLUE has now is a working website with x number of features.  The server group wants to have FUN and create a website with many more features.  Having CLUE appoint a Website CZAR is precisely what I am trying to prevent.  This CLUB is to have FUN ( correct me on that one )  and what is FUN about having a CZAR ?  If the website crashes ....... hardly the biggest deal in the world  ... especially if we have the static site to fall back on ( By the way, the static site often had time lag in being updated  .... because there were only one or two CZARs who could access it or knew how to use it).  I think the same sort of analysis would apply to the Mail-list .... The mail-list is more important I think...why not have two mail-lists ?

So if you know how to install Drupal and make it wonderful ...... jump right in and assist the other guys.  ( Guys is generic for people )  If you know some secrets about Drupal tuning... jump right in.
My 45 cents is that CLUE exists because people want to have FUN ......   and if that means things are not always moving along so perfectly ..... Hmmmm I guess I have never seen any form of governance or organization attain perfection ( or any close to it ).   But if anyone recommends a dictatorship or an oligarchy... I will oppose that.  Jump right in ... you are authorized to help ( not that you required any authorization )
99guspuppet

99guspuppet