[clue] [Political] Opposing the US GOV Blacklist bill

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Jun 8 12:59:28 MDT 2011

That's the one.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bean" <beandaemon at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:05:23 PM
Subject: Re: [clue] [Political] Opposing the US GOV Blacklist bill

Is this the one you guys are worried about?

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=487

I figured the odds were good EFF would know about it.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, < dennisjperkins at comcast.net > wrote:

I thought they had driven a stake thru the heart of this bill. For those who are unaware of what this is about, a bill has been introduced that would require ISPs and browsers to block access to blacklisted sites. This is part of an intellectual property bill that Hollywood and others are pushing. Who decides what should be on the blacklisted sites? Probably not the courts, so no trial to establish guilt. My guess would be Homeland Security, which is already seizing suspected domains.

Even if the courts could approve who goes onto the lists, I think it would still be unconstitutional. It's too easy for someone to slip something, like a news site, into the list. Or any site critical of the govt, etc. If something can be misused, it will be. So don't give them the chance to misuse it.

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: