[clue] software architecture versus hardware architecture

daryl kuchay daryl.kuchay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:34:58 MDT 2011

Hi Folks,

I am working on bringing two industrial tablet pc's loaded with linux to the
Tuesday meeting. Have one up and running however I am getting stuck with
segfaults on the touchscreen driver for the second tablet. More specifically
I segfault when running the calibration utility and I think I know why but I
need someone to confirm my thoughts.

The tablets in question use geode hardware from AMD. These are i586 and lack
the nop capability or long noops from what I have read from "synthhead" in
the arch linux community. He wrote a kernel patch to bring geodes and
transmeta crusoe's up to i686. I know what you are thinking and I only have
a 1gb ssd to work with. Not enough room for kernel source and a recompile.

Here is my suspicion:

If the mfgr of the touchscreen wrote their drivers on an i686 or emulated
i686 system (utilizing libc6-i686) could that explain why I am getting
segfaults when running the calibration utility? I have checked dependencies
and I should be good. Xorg and libgtk are the only deps mentioned. dmesg
only stated a general segfault

Thank you in advance
Daryl
webdt.org