[clue] [Tech] Apache apxs

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Mon Mar 14 15:40:15 MDT 2011

Yeah. It gets to be a bit of a pain to integrate new stuff when the
box you are working on starts carrying such a load.   And by then it's
too late to work out a better way of managing the complexity.   About
the only path to follow is to make a second system and start
populating it to be a replacement for the current primary.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:
> I agree compiling Apache isn't that big of a deal, but I currently have
> this machine wearing many different hats:
>
> 1) Mail server.
> 2) Standard Apache box with multiple apache vhosts.
> 3) Subversion box, via Apache of course.
> 4) Bind server.
> 5) Samba LAN file server.
>
> Upgrading this machine will take some careful planning :) I currently have
> the following installed:
>
> [root at server ~]# rpm -qa | grep httpd
> httpd-suexec-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4
> httpd-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4
> httpd-devel-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4
> system-config-httpd-1.3.1-1
> httpd-manual-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4
>
> I'm bummed that I can't figure out a way around this without recompiling,
> because having updated versions of software delivered automagically with
> update commands is much easier than compiling an update everytime Apache
> puts one out, which is more often than I would like to worry about it.
>
>> Your distro probably has the DSO support and perhaps a -dev version of
>> the package available.   As an aside, if this system is just the proxy
>> then it might be simpler to use an os that has the mod you want.
>>
>> And it's not that big a deal to build and compile Apache yourself.
>> Once you have decided to deploy one kind of built from source package
>> the second is not nearly as hard as the first one was.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to set up a reverse proxy server, and I've found that some of
>>> the URLs we run through it use static vs relative links to things like
>>> images and videos. Thankfully, there is a cool new apache module called
>>> mod_proxy_html which scans the HTML source and can replace various
>>> strings
>>> for you. The config is easy enough and looks cool. The problem is that