[clue] seeking advice cleaning up root

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Mon Mar 21 12:05:18 MDT 2011

Matt--

> I was out at a job site and the clients were having space problems.
> They were told specifically _by_ MySQL folks to use symlinks for their
> Innodb dirs.

That would really surprise me, especially considering InnoDB doesn't make use of directories unless innodb_file_per_table = 1 is set, and then one is playing games with the database storage structure itself. No I am not saying it can't be done, but I would be surprised if it was a recommended approach. Why wasn't more disk added?

> So while some MySQL support folks may discourage the use of symlinks,
> others say it's just fine.  Like everything in life it seems, there is
> no 'one way' of doing something.

I will also say that most "MySQL Consultants" where third party contractors and did not actually work for MySQL. I've had RHCE tell me that running RH without swap space is fine. "If the machine needs to swap you're already in trouble." Though there is some truth that to that statement, giving the swapper *no where* to go only further compounds that issue.

.r