[clue] aptitude safe-upgrade

Fri Mar 25 09:38:50 MDT 2011

Do an apt-get update and see if the warning persists. I got the same warning on my laptop a few days ago, but I didn't upgrade, I went back and updated, instead, and the error cleared.

# apt-get update

 - or -

$ sudo apt-get update

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Friedman" <jason at powerpull.net>
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 7:18:05 AM
Subject: [clue] aptitude safe-upgrade

$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS \n \l

$ sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
  dbus dbus-x11 firefox firefox-3.5 firefox-3.5-branding
  firefox-3.5-gnome-support firefox-branding firefox-gnome-support
  flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree gnome-screensaver
  google-chrome-beta libdbus-1-3 openssh-client openssh-server
  ssh-askpass-gnome xulrunner-1.9.2
17 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 29.4MB/51.5MB of archives. After unpacking 2,458kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
this is what you want to do.

  openssh-server libdbus-1-3 dbus openssh-client gnome-screensaver
  google-chrome-beta ssh-askpass-gnome dbus-x11

<question>
I have upgraded many times, including these packages, and I have never
seen this warning.  What should I make of it?
<question>

No recent changes to:
$ ll /etc/apt/sources.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2953 2010-09-10 20:55 /etc/apt/sources.list