[clue] [TECH] setting the baud rate on a USB serial port

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Mar 29 10:10:32 MDT 2011

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

9600 baud is all the drivers will let me have, but I'm sure the hardware
is capable of faster speeds than that. These are mobile broadband cell
phone modem cards intended for multi-megabit internet speeds on the 3G
and 4G cell phone networks. Furthermore the Qualcomm "Gobi" chipset
requires firmware to be loaded to init the modem for GSM or CDMA and
these firmware files are typically 10MB in size. If you had to transfer
10MB of data at 9600 baud every time you reboot your system or init the
card that would make the whole thing unusably slow.

...Which is kind of where we are at right now.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)