[clue] [EVENT] Report on 2011m03d26 Installfest

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 30 22:55:24 MDT 2011

Mike Stanczyk wrote:
> Cowboy hat + Spurs

And flip-flops. ;-)  Just kidding, the spurs were on cowboy boots.

> Whatever he's riding, I'm glad it ain't me. ;-)

Spurs are a tool that add definition and extension to the rider's leg.  In a well trained horse they
increase the rider's vocabulary so he can ask the horse to do a wider variety of things.  In a
poorly trained horse they act like a megaphone so the rider can "speak more loudly" if that's what's
required to be understood.  Used properly they don't cause discomfort or injury to the horse (and
you can find lots of examples of improper use).

Of course they have other uses that I'm not familiar with (like bronc or bull riding).  Though I
have found that my car goes faster when I drive with spurs on. :-)