[clue] debuging programs

Charles W Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Sun May 15 15:59:23 MDT 2011

I have not used your particular book.  Many of the books I have used
have a paragraph in the introduction which tells about the web site of
the publisher/author.  There, you can usually find the author's sample
code, so that you can compare yours to his/hers using diff.

On 05/15/2011 02:58 PM, jacob wrote:
> Louis,
>
> Here is a rough idea of how you can figure this stuff out:
> 1. Read what you wrote. Do you understand it? If not rewrite it. Don't
> write stuff you don't understand
> 2. If you have an error message read it. Compare the message to the code.
> 3. If you don't understand the problem - google it
> 4. search stackoverflow.com <http://stackoverflow.com>
> 5. use a debugger - or in languages with a REPL use the evaluation loop
> 5. post a question to stackoverflow or a python dev list - be clear
> and concise
>
> Also specifically with python, verify your whitespace is correct for
> your control structures. It isn't optional.
>
> -jacob
>

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Louis Miller <veganguy at canadaseek.com
> <mailto:veganguy at canadaseek.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>           I'm working on the fourth program from the "Learn Python the
>     Hard Way" book. It isn't working, right. In learning to program,
>     can you get someone else to help debug the programs, or to see
>     that you typed everything correctly, or are you supposed to be all
>     on your own? If it is not inappropriate to get help with this,
>     then how would I go about finding someone online? Maybe, there is
>     a program that compares lines of text, automatically, that you can
>     use?
>
>     Louis

Chuck Downing
Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA