[clue] debuging programs

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:39:37 MDT 2011

Besides, I know I'm basically just a wanna-be, but my experience of coding
is very...different, then the public perception of the work, especially in
large projects.  write a couple lines, test, curse at the monitor, tweak,
test, curse at the monitor, tweak, throw the monitor out the window.   Get a
new monitor, tweak, test again, go out to lunch, get an idea, tweak, it
finally works, write a few more new lines and repeat the whole process ad
nauseum.

I wrote a python calculator, nothing special, just adds and subtracts.  50
lines.   Took me at least a week.  Granted, it's not my full time job, but I
did some scribbling in various notebooks at Wendy's over dinner when I could
until I could type it out [?]

Most of the large projects I've seen don't tend to have one person in charge
of the whole source,  this guy writes a function, that guy writes the video
driver...etc...etc...  To a degree you all end up leaning on each other
anyway.   Case and point, http://www.nerdmeritbadges.com/products/rubberduck

Bean