[clue] gnome-shell with ATI, and gnome-shell extensions

Dennis J Perkins djperkins77 at gmail.com
Sun May 29 20:43:45 MDT 2011

Lorin, in order to use gnome-shell, this is what I had to add.  I have
no idea why this file is necessary.

Create 20-radeon.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/:

Section "Devices"
    Identifier "r"
    Driver "radeon"
EndSection

You should also check that gnome-shell is installed.  It was not
automatically installed on Arch Linux when the upgrade to Gnome 3
occurred.

To restart using gnome-shell, type Alt-F2, type r and press Enter.

Extensions
=======
Gnome-shell removes a lot of the functionality that was available in
Gnome 2.  A few extensions have been developed to try to recover some of
that functionality.  Here are a few that you might want.

gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu        Adds Power Off to
the user menu in the upper right of the screen.
gnome-shell-extension-dock                                     Adds a
dock to the right side of the screen.  Identical to the one in
Activities but it is alwasy visible.
gnome-shell-extension-user-theme                           User theme
extension
gnome-shell-extension-drive-menu                           Drive menu
extension (Not visible if no removable drives are present.)
gnome-shell-extension-places-menu                         Adds a Places
icon to the top right of the screen.