[clue] secure erase techniques?

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:42:53 MDT 2011

In short, I'm giving one of my older PC's to a friend's friend.  One of
those, I don't need it, things.  In any case, in terms of secure destruction
of drives, my father's always taught me to disassemble the drives and throw
the heads and the platter out separately.  Can't do it here, they need the
drives, so I thought I'd ask for advice in case we have members who might
know a thing or two about this sort of thing.  I figured I'd probably just
boot it to a live CD and nuke the partitions, and that's *probably *enough,
after all, I don't need like a military-grade erase, but I'll settle for
making it @#$@#$@$ hard to recover.  Any suggestions are welcome.