[clue] secure erase techniques?

Christopher Cross g1ccross at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:05:35 MDT 2011

I would like to know why you chose bs=387 and why you use the count option.
I have always set bs to be close to the drive cache size as this usually
runs quicker for me and if I am doing this to an entire drive or disk image
I usually leave out the count option all together. Is my method wrong for
any reason?
On May 31, 2011 8:51 AM, "Raymond DeRoo" <rderoo at deroo.net> wrote:
> Mike--
>
>> In short, I'm giving one of my older PC's to a friend's friend. One of
those, I don't need it, things. In any case, in terms of secure destruction
of drives, my father's always taught me to disassemble the drives and throw
the heads and the platter out separately. Can't do it here, they need the
drives, so I thought I'd ask for advice in case we have members who might
know a thing or two about this sort of thing. I figured I'd probably just
boot it to a live CD and nuke the partitions, and that's probably enough,
after all, I don't need like a military-grade erase, but I'll settle for
making it @#$@#$@$ hard to recover. Any suggestions are welcome.

> # dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=387 count=<size of disk in bites> /
383

> Recover from this *IS* still possible, but generally requires someone who
is *VERY* knowledge about drives to do as such.