[clue] Need to CRAM!! (Website suggestions pls?)

Jon "maddog" Hall maddog at li.org
Sun Nov 20 03:52:54 MST 2011

Foo,

You did not say if the "largely techincal" job was in systems
administration or development.

If the former, I would suggest going to the LPI website (www.lpi.org)
and particularly starting on this page and look at the LPIC-1, LPIC-2
and LPIC-3 pages:

http://lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/

You will find a list of course objectives under each of these.  If you
read them and can honestly say to yourself "yes, I know how to do that
in Linux", then check off that objective and go to the next one.

If you hesitate, then that is a sign that you probably need to "bone
up".

Here are some online manuals that can help:

http://www.nongnu.org/lpi-manuals/

http://www.nongnu.org/lpi-manuals/manual/

some are a bit dated, but with the issue that you just have a short time
to get ready and that this is a "largely technical" job, I would assume
that these will probably help.

Also, knowing the objectives helps you find what you need with Internet
search.  Google Search is your friend.

Warmest regards,

maddog

On Sun, 2011-11-20 at 02:08 +0000, foo7775 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Over the last two or three years I've been much more a lurker on this list than a participant*, but I've finally run into a situation where I think that the most prudent course of action is to ask for help - I have a technical job interview early next week, & I *REALLY* want to "knock it out of the park" (so to speak) . The problem is that my job has pretty much kept me working on the WinDoze side of the fence for the last while, so I kind of need to "knock a bit of dust off" of my Linux knowledge.
>
> Background - I've been a "professional geek" for a number of years, so I'm (generally) comfortable with virtually all systems & networking terms/concepts , etc, it's just that my Linux is a tiny bit rusty.
>
> Is anyone out there able to recommend one or more (largely-technical) Linux-oriented websites that might help me in my efforts to do a "crash-course" refresher this weekend? I AM of course going to be getting "hands-on" as well, but in all honesty, I'd be grateful for any & all help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Foo
>
> * Mainly because my Linux skills seem to be somewhat... pedestrian compared to some of the "ninjas" that I've seen here... ;-)

Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)
email: maddog at li.org         80 Amherst St.
Voice: +1.603.673.7875       Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
WWW: http://www.li.org

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.