[clue] is tar deprecated? (talk)

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Tue Oct 11 15:06:11 MDT 2011

There is plenty of room for lots of different kinds of bundling tools.
 Many have nitches, some are more widely used than others. The parade
of tools includes ar, tar, cpio, pax, shar, uuencode, bundle,
dump/restore, zip, rar, off the top of my head and probably many many
others.  I doubt we'll ever be able to say that any one tool is dead.

I'm a big fan of pax.  Pax has command line semantics similar to cpio
so it can take a list of file names from stdin and create an archive
of them.  I'm also a fan of pipelines.  It's probably one of the
features that makes unix great.   You can stitch together simple tools
in ways ways that would require a much more complex tool if you
required a gui or a single program with command line options to do it.

   "find . -name '.html'  -or  -name '.png' | pax -w | ssh remote ' cd
~/web/project; pax -rv' "