[clue] small intro and backup question

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Sun Oct 16 13:58:16 MDT 2011

On 10/14/11 12:52 PM, Nic Young wrote:
> Hello,

Welcome!!

> I have recently set up a home server running CentOS 6.0 . I have set
> up vsftpd, apache, and samba. This server is my primary server for
> storing all of my data. I have all of my data on a 1TB hd and I have
> recently acquired another 1TB hd. What is the best method of backing
> up my data to the other hard drive? I have looked at rsync, BackupPC
> and Amanda and I am frankly confused as to which would be best to
> suite my needs. Also do you guys do full bi-weekly backups or daily
> incremental or something else?
I personally am a *huge* BackupPC fan. I've used Amanda and it's
probably way overkill for your personal (or even small business) needs.
BackupPC can use rsync (or SMB and others) to perform the backup itself.
The advantage of BackupPC over a roll it yourself is that it will do
client pooling meaning that it will figure which files are the same from
your backup sets and instead of storing them all it will store a single
copy and save you a ton of space if you backup similar machines. It's
also graphical and will toss you and email if it doesn't get a good backup.

I personally do daily incrementals with weekly fulls. This is all
controllable via BackupPC too.

Let me know if you need any help setting it up.