[clue] XFCE freezes on log in.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 8 18:29:13 MDT 2011

By freeze I mean the desktop stops responding to mouse and keyboard.  Virtual consoles can't be
switched to.  sshd no longer responds to an open connection.  Attempts to open a new ssh connection
result in "no route to host".

Sometimes the freeze is before the panel starts.  Sometimes after the panel but before the wallpaper
displays.

The machine is an Athlon 800 with an nVidia GeForce2 GTS/Pro.

There are a lot of Debian packages for XFCE.  xfce4 is 4.8.0.2.  xfce4-session is 4.8.1-3.  xorg is
1:7.6+8.  FWIW.

Eventually we discover that another user can log in without freezing, and then the original user is
able to log in.  But if the original user logs in first after booting it freezes.

The cause seems to be missing or corrupt files in ~/.cache/sessions.  Removing them doesn't seem to
help.  But removing them and recreating them (there's a save session check box on the log out
dialog) seems to solve the problem.

If anyone has any idea what package might be responsible or how to get any data on what is happening
when it freezes I'll file a bug report.