[clue] XFCE freezes on log in.

CP Constantine conrad at 1211.net
Sat Sep 10 15:29:53 MDT 2011

On 9/10/2011 3:48 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 23:29:39 -0400
> CP Constantine<conrad at 1211.net>  wrote:
>
>> additional: does this freezee happen with all window managers? the
>> fact the machine no longer responds to external SSH connections makes
>> me think you've got a hardware lockup issue, and that graphics card
>> drivers may be the issue. XFCE enables compositing by default in
>> recent versions, and that may be throwing your driver for a loop
>> (whereas GDM/KDM, to my knowledge, do not use compositing).
>
> Xfce has composting (available in the window manager tweaks preference
> applet), but no distro I know of off hand is shipping it enabled by
> default, nor does upstream Xfce suggest doing so. ;)

I'll doublecheck, but I swae the last couple of Xubuntu installs seemed
to autoenable compositing (ie. I've gone to turn it on as a post-install
desktop config, and found it already active).

(hrm, now I think about it, all of those installs have been
post-installation additions of the XFCE packages, to a system that was
running Unity (with 3d stuff enabled) previously.. I wonder if it's
transferring settings from Unity?)