[clue] configuring SSH/question (talk)

Thu Sep 29 15:21:37 MDT 2011

# tail -f /var/log/messages
# tail -f /var/log/secure

Do both of those in separate windows, and do your ssh in a third window.

Take note of new lines appearing as you attempt login.

something is likely wrong/broken in a PAM audit some'ere's, and it affects everyone...

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bean" <beandaemon at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:59:12 PM
Subject: [clue] configuring SSH/question (talk)

So, I have a question. I have a box that's showing some rather peculiar symptoms. When I ssh to it, I get a login prompt, followed by "access denied" followed by a password request. Followed by a bash prompt.

So...if access was denied, why did you just give me access? And why do I get the same behavior when I use the root login? Anybody seen something like this?

(attaching a screenshot of the error:)

Bean

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: