[clue] Last night's kickstart presentation

Wed Apr 11 13:08:56 MDT 2012

It was a pretty awesome show-and-tell, if I do say so myself. The plan basically worked, with just enough breakage to make it interesting.

kickstart files are plain-text answer files that can be used to automate the installation of any of the following distributions, maybe more:
    Fedora, Red Hat, Oracle, CentOS, Scientific

A basic kickstart file representing the current build is dropped in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg after the install of any of the above.

system-config-kickstart is a great graphical utility for editing kickstart files, but doesn't support ~every~ possible option.

to specify a kickstart file, at the 'boot:' prompt from the install disc, type "linux (path-to-kickstart", for example:
    linux ks=http://server1/ks.cfg

The kickstart file can not only automate setup, it can be used to add pieces to setup, like scripts to be run before or after OS install.

Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)

This is a good time for a r3volution.