[clue] simplifying linux/gpg encryption question?

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:21:50 MDT 2012

It might be a poor choice of words.  Digital mortality, if you will?  I
took a job at a primarily UX/LX shop that uses certs/keys, rather then
passwords to authenticate to the servers.   But the computers are all
laptops.  It seems to me, the responsible thing to do if not using full
disk encryption, is to AT LEAST encrypt my certs/keys.

Since I've been around people who's primary job function is security, I get
allot of security news, and talk of vulnerabilities and the like.  Once you
see someone show you how to crack a simple password in less then 60 seconds
you tend to walk away with a slightly different understanding of the
internet.  So I'm trying to be more responsible both in terms of how I
manage my own digital assets, both on and off the clock.

Oh, and all the high profile hacks I've been hearing about in the news
aren't helping.   Couple weeks ago it was dropbox, then this last weekend
it was the Mat Honan thing.   Although from what I'm hearing that wasn't
true hacking it was social-engineering the whole way, but that doesn't make
it any less creepy.   Granted, those of us with an interest in linux and
foss probably aren't heavily associated with icloud, but I tend to have to
walk the line for fear of never knowing which side of the operating-system
border I'm going to end up on.

Mike Bean