[clue] opensource email clients?

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Tue Aug 28 12:13:00 MDT 2012

Gets me thinking -- you know, I'm actually happy when a particular
favorite application reaches a level of development where the
maintainers just can't think of a single thing to add or change... and
there's really nothing pressing that Tbird lacks that couldn't likely be
added with an add-on or extension.

So, short of security- or reliability-minded bug fixes, it's okay with
me if they essentially stop development, as long as the program's
available, and that "bit rot" preventive maintenance support is provided.

The chase for never-ending features is not necessarily a good thing, and
I've actually abandoned apps in the past that just went too far beyond
their original charter -- the most egregious example, perhaps canonical,
is of course MS Windows itself.  Gnome 3 perhaps?  Certainly Firefox (I
traded it in for Chromium).

As designer/coders, we need to learn to not fix it if it ain't broke --
takes discipline, but creeping featurism is a bane, not a boon.

respectfully,
   -- Lorin