[clue] Brasero bad (really bad), K3b good...

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Tue Aug 28 12:20:01 MDT 2012

Speaking of bit rot:  Since upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), I've
found that Brasero (cd burner) is >> seriously broken << ...In
particular, it fails 100% of the time to correctly write & finish a
simple data disk (both CD and DVD media), turning silver disks into
coasters with reckless abandon.

A bit of sleuthing on Ubuntu Forums, etc., convinces me that I'm not
alone... It ain't just me having problems with Brasero.  Typical
comments seem to run:  "...This piece of crap!" and "It's the worst
program in the distro..." -- you get the idea.

A distro search for alternatives turned up xfburner and K3b, both of
which I've now installed and both of which I like, esp. K3b.  Each can
burn CDs and DVDs quite perfectly, and I really appreciate K3b's wealth
of features, user interface, and helpful operational feedback.

Ditch Brasero -- there are much better alternatives!  Hope this helps
someone else.

best regards,
   — Lorin