[clue] Speaker ideas.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Dec 12 22:46:55 MST 2012

So at the meeting last night I got some ideas for future talks.  Since some things had to be done to
get set up it sparked lots of "what about this" that not everyone was familiar with.

If nobody says anything I probably won't get around to doing anything with them so let me know what
you think:

- We set up our own LAN.  That meant DHCP (but really APIPA or even by-hand addresses would have
been fine).  Thankfully we had a windows box to provide that ;-)  It also turned out we had boxes
that didn't have wireless and needed to install packages.  Since I did a talk one time (a *really*
long time ago that included a "build a router in one slide" slide, I made my box a router.  It's
harder now because we needed NAT (don't know if McAfee's wifi runs a routing protocol--probably not)
but it worked.  We didn't have any dynamic DNS so we did hosts files (and not even via FTP so it was
painful).

So the thought is to have a talk/demo/hands on about that.  We should document what we do so it can
be replicated if we do a similar private LAN for other talks.  I think DNS would be the hard
part--DHCP and routing are easy but since WINS has been around since last century we should figure
out the right way to do it.

That's a talk I could give if no one else wants to (so be sure that when you vote for this topic you
also vote whether you want a different speaker) :-)

- Gary has 3 Rapsberry Pis.  If we twist his arm he might bring one for us to look at/play
with/something.  I told him that just showing one was a good start and that he could easily work on
something he hadn't had time for and we'd be happy to watch.  (Of course there would be lots of
"what are you doing with it" and "did that work" questions to fill the time.)

- I know someone who knows Jenkins (continuous integration) and could do a demo.

- There were some other ideas that came right at the end so if you remember them, pipe up.

Thanks!