[clue] Link speed test

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Dec 17 23:29:19 MST 2012

Hi9,

I guess I would caution anyone trying this method of determining network
performance that the disk might be the slowest part of the system. I
think the only way to saturate a gigabit ethernet connection while
writing to disk, for example, is to have RAIDed hard drives on separate
controllers such that the disk throughput could be as fast as the network.

I think the whole idea of iSCSI is that the network might be way faster
than the physical disk, so you aren't really losing much performance
compared to a real disk, because the real disk locally connected is
about the same speed as a real disk connected via iSCSI. If you have
wizzy super-fast iSCSI target servers with fancy RAID arrays, your iSCSI
"disk" performance might actually be faster than a locally connected
disk, because the filer can give you I/O throughput of many disks.

You should use caution when trying to characterize network performance
in any way that involves a physical disk. As Dave notes, the performance
is as slow as the slowest part of the whole system, and I'm postulating
that the storage device might be way slower than the network, especially
if you have gigabit ethernet. If you can write to /dev/null on the
remote system that might be better, because there is no disk I/O. For
example this will copy 500MB over the network using ssh but not use any
disk I/O on either system:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=500 | ssh user at remote "dd of=/dev/null"

I'm not sure if ssh is the best tool so if you really want to know your
link speed, you should probably just bite the bullet and use use a
purpose-written package like netperf. By the way I've used variable size
ping packets in the past to get an idea of link speed for slow links
like malfunctioning T1s.

Jim
--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)