[clue] Voip provider

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Feb 21 05:48:58 MST 2012

Hi,

philburt stortsky wrote:
> Can any one recomend a relatively inexpensive Voip provider?  I'm only
> looking for 1 or 2 lines and would like to pay $5-10/mo for each
> line.  This is primarily for personal use and possibly a second line
> for my business attempts (i'm disabled but would like to set up a
> small business, probably selling electronics kits) so i don't need a
> premium supplier like 8X8 (though they look excellent I really don't
> need "business class" service.
>
> Any recomendations for software that's simpler than asterisk?  I'll
> probably be using a dedicated machine for this and a local caching dns
> server so a specific distro of linux would likely work fine for me.
> I'll be using a headset connected directly to the computer most likely
> unless i find a cheap card to use a "standard" phone with it and would
> therefore like to use the computers internal speaker for "ringing".
> I'll likely use an older, lower power machine possibly a P3 or P4
> processor (to minize my power usage).
>
> Thanks.

We use bandwidth.com for our SIP trunks and it seems to work fine.  The
office PBX server is an Asterisk box and we use Polycom desk phones.
Bandwidth.com seems to be very reliable and also their customer service
has been fine.  I have the impression that it's enterprise-grade service.

It might be more expensive than what you're looking for though.

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/msi.html