[clue] Cory Doctorow - war on general computing [talk]

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Tue Jan 3 14:27:10 MST 2012

"I use honor to guide my own life, and the law to protect me from other
people.  It, of course, helps to have honorable legislators and judges
of those laws."

Maddog -- Again, and with deepest respect, I agree with you in principle.

However, it's our institutions, legal, jurist, political, and even moral
(churches) that are breaking down in the face of an ever-more complex
society.  The weight of mutually-contradictory, overly-complicated and
pervasively-intrusive system of laws, statutes and regulations virtually
guarantees this as a self-fulfilling prophesy.

We have certainly, IMHO, reached and exceeded some threshold or limit of
complexity as a society -- much of it seems to be at a breaking point.
Historically, such a situation is regularly remedied by a revolution,
whether conceptual (and therefore relatively bloodless) or physical
(running the continuum from benign to violent).

Doctorow's address seems, to me, to underscore these very ideas, limited
to the domain of intellectual property.  Yet, by extension, he seems to
endorse these very same notions.

Thank you to all for your thoughtful responses... this thread is
intriguing, perhaps even essential.

best regards,
   -- Lorin